For anxious dental patients sedation can be achieved through use of an oral sedative medication. This method is better suited for endodontic treatment since it is a lengthy dental procedure. You will need someone to drive you to and from your dental treatment. A pre-operative consultation is necessary. Please contact our office for further information.
Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, has been utilized in dentistry for over one hundred years and is a safe and predictable method for alleviating dental anxiety.
There are many advantages to using nitrous oxide, such as:
- Depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- No after effect such as a “hangover”
- No side effects on your heart or lungs
- Very effective in minimizing gagging
- Works rapidly reaching the brain within 20 seconds and relaxation properties develop within two to three minutes.
- Virtually no after effects, and you should be able to drive yourself home.